Monday, March 03, 2008

"Vantage Point" Talk

I had a really fun afternoon/evening over at Troy and Emily's place. We played a bunch of Wii, and we watched the end of the NASCAR race. We also watched my DOMINATING performance today CRASH and BURN when Jeff Gordon wrecked with FOUR laps to go!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, it was a lot of fun and I appreciate them inviting me over. I also got to hang out with Zach and Jenny, which is always a fun time. Despite Mario Party 8 CHEATING in Zach's favor, it was still a great time and the banter was fun.

Later tonight, I ended up at Phil's theatre to watch "Vantage Point". The flick was alright. I enjoyed the story-telling aspect of it. I honestly think it must have been stolen from indie-art-house flick, but it worked well. The multiple points of view seemed to work well, and they honestly constructed it in somewhat of a "Lost" type manner. At the end of each POV, it's going one of those "Holy Cow!" moments, but only the character sees it, we (the audience) do not, not until later. So, there's lots of times when you're like, "WHAT did they see???" But, you have to wait to get your answers.

I can understand why most people in the general public won't like this film. It's not traditional, and you do watch the same assassination seven different times from different aspects. Anyone who enjoys the "art" of film and film-making should enjoy this film more than most, for its artistic accomplishments.

I can't say that I was completely surprised by the twists they threw in. Some of them were interesting, but others you could sense coming.

I also took my friend Amanda to see "Juno" last night, and it was still good the second time around. However, we saw it at the new AMC theatre, which is all in digital. And honestly, there are some films - and "Juno" is one of them for me - that I don't think I want (or need) to see in digital. "Juno" is an art-house film. I kind of feel that I should watch a gritty/grainy print to put me in the right mood to view the film. Maybe I'm just weird...

No comments: