Monday, March 24, 2008

"The Lookout" Review

I'm a little behind in some of my Netflix reviews, so I'm going to catch up on the last two.

"The Lookout" was a film I had wanted to see for a while, but I think it was pretty limited in Indy, and I never made the time to go out of my way to see it. I often saw the DVD, but never got around to buying it.

Like "Brick", the film stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and he does another wonderful performance. The film spends a good amount of time on character development. Developing the mundane and sorrowful life that Chris Pratt (Gordon-Levitt) is forced to live, 4 years after a car accident in which he killed two of his friends, and suffered some life-threatening injuries. The film builds up his personal relationship with Lewis (played by Jeff Daniels) and their co-existing friendship as roommates, placed together by the rehabilitation center.

Matthew Goode ("Match Point") does an amazing job, playing Gary, a bad guy who befriends Chris and uses his powers of manipulation to convince Chris to help them rob the bank the Chris works at, as an overnight janitor.

Then, there is the vixen used to tempt Chris, played by Isla Fisher - who I am falling in love with!

All of the actors are amazing. And I loved seeing Bruce McGill get some more work (Jack Dalton from "MacGyver") playing Chris' Father. The interaction between Chris and Gary and the other members of Gary's group are well played. They make Chris feel like he is a part of their group, before they let him know what their plan is. I'd say the first 50 minutes of the film are dedicated to developing all of the characters and their relationships - before the bank heist actually gets in motion.

Sadly, the worst part of the movie is this: There comes a point when Chris could do something - something that I believe any normal, sane person would consider the right thing to do. And if Chris would make this choice - the film would be over. Instead, Chris makes decisions that I consider irrational and idiotic. This drags out the film for the final 25 minutes, and simply drags out the story more. I suppose it's required for the redemption of Chris' character, after getting involved with the robbers - but I don't believe it's the most intelligent decision for a person.

Overall, I give the flick 3 Stars out of 5. It's worth renting, but I don't believe its worth buying. There is some nice cinematography in the film, and with the snow-covered terrain, it makes for some nice contrasting shots. Like I said, the acting is GREAT and I would watch the flick again just for that.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Fallon and I saw it when it came out at Clearwater..I think we pretty much felt the same way