Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"2 Days in Paris" Review

"It always fascinated me how people go from loving you madly to nothing at all, nothing. It hurts so much. When I feel someone is going to leave me, I have a tendency to break up first before I get to hear the whole thing."

The films is definitely an art film. There's really not a plot to follow, it's more an observation of two characters. It was a little slower than I was hoping for, but it really does make a lot of good observations on romance and relationships, and our past.

For me, the easiest part to relate to was Jack (Adam Goldberg). Throughout the film, as they spend two days in Paris - after some time in Venice, before going back to New York - they come into contact with a number of Marion's Ex-Boyfriends. Jack doesn't do well with meeting her exes, specifically since he doesn't speak French, and doesn't understand exactly how they are hitting on Marion. Jealousy and Insecurities mount up throughout the film, and causes Jack and Marion to realize that after two years, they really don't know each other.

I didn't really care for Marion's parents. I didn't really think they were that important to the overall story. And Marion's Sister goes from being rude and demeaning towards Jack, only to later be extremely nice and friendly to him. It seemed like an odd contradiction, with no explanation - unless I missed something...?

It wasn't the best film I'd ever seen, but it invoked thoughts and memories in my mind - which I suppose is one of the true tests of good cinema. If you're looking for something different, and not typical - this is good film to fulfill that requirement. I can't say its a good "date movie", but something that can be watched by the single, those with a serious significant other, and those who just want to observe "art cinema".

No comments: