Monday, January 01, 2007

2006: A Year in Shane

So, here it is: 2007.
And with that, I've taken some time today to think back over the past 365 Days - the year that was 2006. It was interesting. Lots of ups. Lots of downs. Lots of stuff happened. And I'm taking the time to list (with some pictures) some of the Top Threes of 2006, in various categories. So, here's a recap of 2006 - from Shane's eyes and mind.

Top Three Places I Visited in 2006
1. The Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center in New York City.

One of the last places I got to visit this year, but also one of the best. A place I'd been dreaming about seeing for so long, and thanks to Letha and Jason, I finally got to see it. It sure was amazing.

2. The Pier at Santa Monica, at Sunset.

The family trip to Los Angeles back in March was an amazing trip, filled with lots of fun times, but the night we spent in Santa Monica, and saw the sun set over the ocean was just beautiful.

3. The Campground at Rondeau State Park in Canada.

Zach's Bachelor Party took Zach, Jason Romberg, and myself into the heart of Canada to spend four days in the woods. Camping is always an awesome time, and since we haven't made a trip to Brown County in a couple of years, this was an awesome time. Three guys in the woods, talking about life under the stars. It was such a great trip.



Top Three Films I Saw in 2006
1. "The Last Kiss"
Probably the best film about relationships I've seen in a long time. So many different perspectives and concepts of love and relationships, you're sure to identify with one of them. Perfect flick.

2. "The Prestige"
Probably the best storytelling of any film I've ever seen. Non-linear editing results in so many questions before answers, and allows three different time lines to intertwine with each other. This film also has THE BEST ENDING of any film since 1999 - PERIOD.

3. "Thank You For Smoking"
Just a flat-out hilarious film, that is wonderfully written and acted. Yes, some scenes are a little outlandish, but overall I think it's a wonderfully fun time, and Aaron Eckhart does an amazing job.


Top Three Albums I Bought in 2006
1. "Commit This to Memory" by The Motion City Soundtrack.
2. "Let Love In" by The Goo Goo Dolls.
3. "How to Save a Life" by The Fray.

All great rockin' albums, which I still constantly listen to.

Top Three Singles Released in 2006
1. "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol (from "Eyes Open")
2. "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder (from "Extreme Behavior")
3. "Feel the Silence" by The Goo Goo Dolls (from "Let Love In")

Top Three Concerts I Went to in 2006
1. The Trans-Siberian Orchestra
2. Pearl Jam
3. The Goo Goo Dolls

Top Three Sports Moments in 2006
1. Reggie Miller's Jersey being retired.
2. The Eastsiders Basketball Team winning the ISSA Class B Championship.
3. Big Al Harrington returning to the Indiana Pacers.

Top Three T.V. Shows I Watched in 2006
1. "Lost"
2. "Prison Break"
3. "How I Met Your Mother"

Three Biggest Surprises of 2006
1. The Divorce.
Yeah, this one takes the cake. One year ago today - I never would have seen it coming. I knew we were having problems, but I honestly believe some separation and time apart would help us figure out our feelings for each other. I guess she figured out her feelings - which wasn't a good thing for me, and it was a pretty big shocker when I got the paperwork in the mail.
2. Jason Moving.
When Jason and I were into film together, the guy told me he didn't think he would ever move to Los Angeles, because he didn't want to leave his family and friends in Indianapolis. So, when he was presented with the opportunity to move to Boston, I was first surprised that he was thinking about it - and more surprised with his final decision. I can still remember the night he told Annette and I that he was going to stay here in Indy, and turn the job down. It wasn't more than two hours later I was hanging out with him, when he told me he was going to take the job. I quickly went from "happy Jason was staying" to "bummed Jason was leaving". Another surprise to my life in 2006.
3. Dad Goes to Iraq.
I never would have imagined, until I was told, that my Dad would be going to Iraq. He's not exactly a 20-year-old infantryman. So, the government sending him over to Iraq to do some work was Out of Left Field, in my opinion. Luckily, he went and made it home safe - but it was still kind of a surprise to find out he was going.

I'm hoping for a good 2007.
I've got some life plans in order, and hope they work out.
I'm holding off on going back to school - so that I can spend the next few months getting my living arrangements worked out (finding an apartment downtown) and getting a new job. I plan to start talking to a counselor at IUPUI in the next few weeks, so that they can start setting me up and enrolling me in the classes I want to take in the fall. This will also give me a chance to save some money and start applying for financial aid.

I've only made one resolution for 2007.
And I think I'll be able to keep it. I've already started on it, and I think I can keep up with it. My resolution for 2007 is to get myself into better shape (which includes losing some weight). I've been riding 10 Miles a Day on the bike for five days a week, for the past three weeks - so I just need to keep that up. I've been lifting free weights and just need to continue doing that as well. Finally, no more soda. Juice, Water, Gatorade, Powerade, anything but soda. By the Spring, I want to be regularly running the canal downtown (hopefully living close enough to jog to the canal, and then jog the whole thing).

Well, 2006 sure changed my life.
Lots of ups.
Lots of downs.
Lots of good times.
Lots of lonely nights.

Somehow, I have a feeling 2007 is going to be a lot of the same...

...but I guess that's life.

I'll see you again in 365 Days, with another list. I hope you all have a WONDERFUL 2007.

3 comments:

Jason L. Maier said...

You didn't mention the fact that you told me, "You should go man, you should try living out on your own. You get to learn a lot about yourself. You should take this opportunity." Sure, just leave out that LITTLE detail. It's not my fault that I listened to your original thoughts...just kidding buddy. Hope everything swings your way this year...and that your date for my wedding is who you want it to be.

Arthur said...

Hey man, happy new year. Hope you have more ups than downs in '07. Thanks for keeping up the blog.

Shane M. White said...

"Thanks for keeping up the blog."

I've got nothing better to do with my time these days... I'm hoping that changes, and I have less free time to write, but no matter what - I'll keep thi spuppy going.

More importantly, THANK YOU (and everyone else) who actually takes time out of their day to read this, and comment. It makes me feel like I actually still have friends...