Sunday, July 16, 2006

"London"

Nope, sadly this posting has nothing to do with the city that I hope to one day call home. Aside from the fact that it shares the name with one of the main characters in the flick I FINALLY got around to watching this morning.

Yes, I'm continuing to avoid editing - but I HOPE I'll get back into it soon. It's tough. But, I want to get through it, I just needed a little break.

So, I finally got around to watching a flick I picked up a couple of months ago - it's just been sitting on my pile of "To Watch Soon" DVDs. (Where I still have Troy's copy of "All the Real Girls" and Justin's copy of "The Cooler").

The flick is "okay". It's not great, but its FAR from sucking. It's VERY dialogue heavy - which is NOT a negative, and I'm not trying to be a hypocrit, since my films have been described the same way. Perhaps it was just the pacing that seemed a little slow to be. However, the storytelling and editing REALLY made this flick. It's told non-linear, as the story picks up the night that London is having a going away party. Two months earlier, her and Syd broke up, after a two year long relationship. Syd finds out about the party, and still being heartbroken and in depression - somehow decides it's a good idea to crash the party. He convinces his Coke supplier to join him (Jason Statham - with hair!!!), and they spend the majority of the night in the bathroom - talking various philosophies, as other party-goers come and go. Through flashbacks, we get to see the evolution and demise of London and Syd's relationship - and get to watch the paranoia that plagues many relatnioships - as any and every subject is covered.

Emotional Blackmail is the main subject of my upcoming flick - and "London" is going to be required viewing for the leads, because it REALLY deals with the subject in an indirect way - as you see the things London and Syd put each other through. And the scene where Jason Statham finally opens up and tells Syd about his personal life - it's pretty interesting. Chris Evans is REALLY unnoticable. He's really in character - and doesn't act goofy or zany like he has in previous films. It's nice to see an actor I never considered "serious" to play such a great role. Jessica Biel is what she always has been, and always will be - a beautiful body to look at. Sadly, in this film - any beautiful girl could have played London.

You can check out the trailer HERE.

No comments: