Friday, July 21, 2006

Curse of the Shyamalan

I don't have the greatest history with Mr. Shyamalan, and let me explain.

I was BLOWN AWAY by "The Sixth Sense" - and the guy has yet to come close to living up to that flick, in my mind.

When "Unbreakable" was released, I was jumping at the chance to go to the screening of the flick - and I left UTTERLY disappointed. However, when the DVD came out - I still picked up the flick (I'm a SUCKER for bonus materials...) And after I saw the film for a second time, I really enjoyed it.

Then came, "Signs". I went in thinking it was an "alien" film, and I was (once again) disappointed. However, after talking to some people and reading some reviews, I went and saw the movie a second time - this time I watched it as a religious film surrounded by aliens - and I LOVED the film and the message.

Next was "The Village". Sadly, this is the flick I still don't like. I didn't like it the first time. And I thought, "Well, I just need to see it a second time". Wrong. I hated it the second time too, and I still don't own the DVD. Even though its got some amazing actors in it - I can't bring myself to own it.

So, tonight we got together to watch Shyamalan's new flick, "Lady in the Water". It's different. It's NOT typical Shyamalan. He's taken a different road with this flick. And I'm not impressed. I go to Kevin Smith movies to listen to people complain about stuff and talk crazy, I got to Tony Scott films to get dizzy with moving cameras, and I go to Shyamalan films to get THE TWIST ENDING. And since I've read interviews with Shyamalan where he claims this doesn't have a trick ending - I don't consider it a spoiler when I CONFIRM that. And the lack of a twist ending, is disappointing. I was hoping for something cool. Instead I got a slow story that doesn't make a lot of sense, and really doesn't do a very good job of exploring itself, since one character has all the answers, but only offers them in spoonfuls. The movie could have been a 15 minute short film, if they would have just got all the information from this person at once. Instead, it drags out, forces you to watch WAY TOO MUCH EXPOSITION!

It's not Shyamalan's fault. It's not his fault that he made an AMAZING film, and that I continue to compare everything after it - to it. It's not his fault. But, I do blame him for not writing a more interesting story for me to dislike the first time. I can't decide if I'm going to see this one again, I don't think I missed anything that I need. If I read something that changes my mind, I'd be willing to watch it again, because some of the acting is amazing (I LOVE Jeffrey Wright). So, only time will tell. But, I can guarantee this: I'll be seeing "Clerks II" a second time, before I sit through that again, so if you're looking for a movie to watch this weekend: There's my recommendation.

Oh, and here's another trailer for A MOVIE I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE!!!!

1 comment:

Dave said...

So, you don't want directors to grow as artists? Is that what you're saying?

Going in expecting a certain type of film from a director is limiting them from the beginning. This is one of my biggest problems with the average film viewer (not that you are). They only want the same thing from everyone every single time. It's why Hollywood delivers so much crap every year. They want time tested formulas they know audiences love. It's also why the best movies of the year are the ones where the writer says, "No studio wanted to take a chance on..."

Yes, certain people are able to find a style and hone it with each new venture (Wes Anderson comes to mind for current directors). Mentally limiting a director (or writer or actor or whatever) is never going to help them or the audience.

Shyamalan, though I have loudly denounced him before, is actually a quality director. He's able to set a mood and pull the audience in whatever direction he wants. He's been stuck with two crappy scripts and possibly a third (I haven't seen Lady In The Water yet). Despite his abilities, I have said I would never see another movie of his if Lady In The Water had a twist. He's holding himself back if he allows it to happen which is worse than the studios and audiences doing it to him. He can be a great storyteller and always doing twist endings will hurt him.

Also, The Sixth Sense is one of the most overrated movies of the 1990s. It does not hold up on repeat viewings. The Sixth Sense is a pretty good movie the first time you see it. Boring as Hell the second time. I don't know what it is after that and don't plan to find out. A quality movie (twist or no twist) can handle multiple view scrutiny and The Sixth Sense does not do that.

Also, I'd like to point out that Signs didn't have a twist ending unless you count them being vulnerable to water. Everything else was unexpected, but not exactly a twist.