Monday, July 03, 2006

Edit, edit, edit...

Boy, I forgot how much fun editing can be.
But, I had also forgotten how painstakingly boring and repetative it can be.

Editing "Crazy About You" is what I've been working on for the past two days - when I wasn't at work - and it's what I'm going to be working on late into the night, and tomorrow before work.

I didn't even want to do this, but now I'm finding myself rushing through it, trying to make it as good as I can, knowing I'm on a short time frame.

Jason's going to be back in town in August, and if we don't set up the premiere then, it's going to be 2007 before he'll be able to come back for the premiere. So, I've got a SHORT amount of time to get this thing edited, get it to Chris to get music, get it to Zach to fix the color balancing and the audio, and then get this whole puppy put back together to get a premiere organized.

Luckily, I'm just doing a rough cut to give to Chris and Zach, and then we'll tweak everything once that rough cut is done, and we'll add the additional pieces as it goes on. We'll tighten stuff and shorten things here and there to make it better, but right now I'm just trying to put this thing together to tell the story. We've got a good amount of coverage, but I'm constantly wishing we had "this shot" or "that shot" - seeing how this is the first film that I'm editing that I didn't direct, it's tough that certain things are missing, that I would have gotten as a director. I'm learning to appreacite editors more, and I'll ALWAYS appreciate those who edit my projects in the future. However, I'll also attempt to give them LOTS of coverage (WHERE is the shot of the roses hitting the ground?!?!?!?!?!?) I'm getting through it. It's an experience. Luckily, the performances so far are REALLY good. And I'm once again impressed with Jason. He REALLY delivered in this flick, and his tone and facial responses are amazing. I'll have to keep him in mind for a future project.

And the coolest thing, for me personally, is that I've REALLY hit my next film. I bought a Black Mead Notebook (I stole the idea from Eddie Vedder) and I've been writing and writing and writing my little heart out into this thing. The pages are just flowing, and I'm really coming up with some good characters and a fairly dramatic situation. As always, I've been pulling a lot of ideas and concepts out of my own head, and putting them into a fictional world. Allowing me to take lots of things I've learned and observed over the years and give them a fictional set of people to portray them. I think it's going to be a really good flick. And it's somewhat indie. I believe it still has a mainstream story, but I think I'm going to handle the flick in an indie way. We'll see how it goes. But, it is taking on a life of its own, and the characters and emotions are becoming very vivid in the notes. I plan to start writing it once I hit the east coast later this summer.

No comments: