Thursday, July 20, 2006

"Clerks II" Review!!!

It came in.
I built it.
I watched it.
And I LOVED IT.

Sometimes, there's just THOSE MOVIES that hit you at a certain point in your life - and they feel like they are there for a reason. The dialogue sounds like its speaking to you, and characters are put into situations that you too feel that you're in.

First, let me tell you that this WILL BE SPOILER-FREE.

I'm NOT trying to ruin the flick for anyone, just praise Kevin Smith for delivering a movie that is really enjoyable, has some good twists, and shows real emotion. Ultimately, this film answers the eternal question: Am I REALLY happy with where my life is going?

It's amazing to watch a film that stays SO TRUE to the original characters, while still being COMPLETELY original. It's not a complete rehash of what worked the first time, they don't play hockey on the roof again (I hope that' not considered a spoiler...), they don't go to another funeral (is that one?), and they don't have another guy die in the bathroom (So, I'm confused - is the DENYING of events, considered a spoiler??? Someone explain that to me...). It's all fresh. We get caught up on the last ten years, and we move on. We see their advancement, or lack thereof, and we see that the heart of the story is still the same: Two best friends, trying to make life day to day.

And let me say this about little Rosario Dawson: AWESOME.
Kevin Smith has an amazing talent for writing the MOST PERFECTLY ATTRACTIVE female characters ever! She's just too cool, laid back, chill, and just enjoys life. She's got a great smile and just the right amount of "bad girl" that leaves you begging for more. And to top it all off, she rolls in a CLASSIC Mustang - could she be more perfect? However, I'm lucky enough to realize that she's a FICTIONAL CHARACTER - and that NO CHICK is ever that cool. A lesson some people need to learn, so that they don't constantly compare you to one of those "Chick Flick Guys" and think that you should be all "perfect all the time". One downfall to society - people believing that fictional characters are how you should act in real life. Enough on that subject, I'm off topic.

Film makes some good observations about romance, relationships, and how people get through each day. It makes the same "mistake" as "The Break Up" and "Click" - which is it gets REALLY SERIOUS at one point - not that there is ANYTHING wrong with this... - however, where this flick goes right: During the serious part, it still interjects humor AND it doesn't last longer than it has to.

It's really weird to be at the crossroads of my life, and then to watch the scenes in the film - characters questioning the hows ans whys of their life. I've been out of high school for going on 10 years now - and what have I REALLY accomplished? Am I always going to manager a movie theatre, pop popcorn, show movies early to my friends, continue to search for the "perfect script" to write and find funding for, review movies on my blog, and just glide through life? Do I really have dilusions of grandieur? Is my life really nothing in the big picture of the world? I'm not thirty yet, but I'm sure getting to the same point as the characters in the film - I'm really at the point where I need to figure out who and what I am - and prepare myself to be that, and nothing more, for the rest of my life.

But, that doesn't really sound like me. I'm always going to try tobe bigger, better, have the best toys, rebel, and enjoy life to its fullest. Wherever that leads me, wherever that takes me. Life is a ride - and I'm going to live it. And wherever that ride takes me, I'll be sure to bring along "Clerks II" on DVD - to ensure myself that I'll be laughing the whole time.

I highly reccomend the flick. You'll be in the aisle laughing - while at the same time wondering "Is it OKAY to laugh at this???". GREAT JOB MR. SMITH!!!

Perfect bookend?
You'd better believe it.

No comments: