Friday, June 16, 2006

A Pair of Reviews

First review: NOT SO GOOD.
"Nacho Libre" = CRAP.
I know, I know: "Shane doesn't like anything". Luckily, I've yet to meet ANYONE who actually liked this movie. I'll admit, I laughed here and there. Jack Black is funny, and he has his moments in this film, but overall - it's just a waste of time. I crappy story, BAD scenes, and sadly Jared Hess reused A TON of his shots and setups from "Napolean Dynomite". It's really just the Spanish version of that film. He's got his sidekick. He mumbles around through life, never happy. Blah, blah, I AM BORED! Then, half the film is in Spanish - with NO SUBTITLES!!! COME ON! The film gets a "D", 4 out 10.

Second review: "The Lake House".
Okay, this is a tough review. The film isn't BAD, but it's not really that good. And it's not that it's horribly written, it just makes some typical mistakes. First, I'll preface this by saying "Back to the Future" is one of my all-time favorite time-travel films, and I KNOW the whole series has mistakes. But, this film REALLY makes a HUGE mistake, that ruined the entire film for me. It's a MASSIVE plot error, and I just can't get past it.

Okay, the film is PREDICTABLE. No doubt about it, ten minutes into the film, you know what happened and what's going to happen. An hour in, your KNOW for a fact that you're right. So, it doesn't come as a surprise in the end. That's working against it, only because they actually act like you're dumb enough to NOT see it coming. Okay, whatever.

The only real complaint I have about the film is the pacing. It is REALLY SLOW. It probably could have been 10 minutes shorter, and not lost my interest as much. On top of that, I went in with low expectations, and they were meet.

And here's the problem. As far as "Changing the Past" this film is NOWHERE NEAR as good as "Frequency" and "The Butterfly Effect". When one of characters causes an event to change in the past, The Ripple Effect SHOULD TAKE PLACE, and cause events in the future to be altered. However, it does not. The end of the film makes you (as the audience) believe that even when an event is changed, only THAT MOMENT at the end of the film is changed. In reality, it should have pulled a "Butterfly Effect"-type-REWIND to the REAL MOMENT that would have been changed - and pick up the story from there.

Then again, it all boils down to if you believe in the "Time is Relative" or the "Time is Constant" philosophy. I'm a relative person, so as far as movies go: This one should have been different.

It's a good, yet predictible, date movie. Chicks who don't think (or care) about the story will enjoy it. It's an alright story, that just seems to drag. I would be interested in seeing the original, to see how much the story was "Americanized". I give it a "C", 6 out of 10.

I'm making my way through the Second Season of "Entourage" and I LOVE IT!!! Such a great show! I almost with James Cameron REALLY was making an "Aquaman" movie, that would be too cool. And I also have realized why I identify with Eric so much - his ex-girlfriend is named Kristen and she's NOT such a nice girl. We've got a lot in common...

No comments: