Saturday, August 20, 2011

Preface to My Next Post

When I first started this blog, so many moons ago, my first posting was a review of "Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith". From there, I reviewed a bunch of movies, sometimes just a few quick sentences, sometimes long, winded commentaries about why I loved them - and loved hearing myself talk/think/type.

Then, I got vocal about sports. Analyzing the Colts, Pacers, Bayern Munich, tennis, World Cup, blah, blah, blah. I just liked writing (and babbling on my soapbox) about topics I was passionate about.

Then, I wanted to be a media mogul, so every morning I would spend hours surfing my favorite websites and gathering all of the bits of news that mattered to me, and that I wanted to comment on - and then I'd compile them all here.

Then, I started working a day job where I spent 8-10 hours a day sitting at a computer typing and entering data. Once I got home, I wanted to be anywhere but in front of any computer screen or keyboard. That's when the lull in my blog first began.

Then, I decided to start writing my novel, and the only times I would post here was when I published another chapter online.

At some point this year - I can't remember exactly when - I was looking at my blog and on one hand, I was proud to have over 2,000 postings. Then, I just realized, the majority of them were nothing. Boring, pointless, insane rants without purpose. Links to random things that we're relevant anymore. I had tons of mobile updates recording Bayern Munich or Bastian Schweinsteiger goals.

Basically, I realized my blog was lame, and had LOTS of "fat" that needed to be trimmed off of it. So, at whatever random point (I honestly believe it took me three days to complete), I deleted around 1,800-ish blog posting to put myself at a much thinner 200-ish posts.

I kept all of my film reviews, because I do care about my thoughts and feelings on films, and I kept some other blogs that I feel like I actually took a lot of time to prepare and write, but I made a much more concise version of myself available online. [A number of my blogs were just intense/insane rants about things that I found annoying (usually people I didn't like) and I just wouldn't shut up. Blah, blah, blah, I'm just going to run my mouth because this is my forum to do so... It was lame.]

Recently, I've been writing a little more often. I missed my deadline of finishing "Perfect Life For Large Price" in one year, so I've set the goal at two years now. I'm over halfway, and I'm about ten chapters away from a cliffhanger, where I will stop publishing online, and try to finish it up, get someone to edit/revise it for me, and then try to find the best avenue to publish it.

While I don't force myself enough to make the time to write the novel, I do still want to write more often. I just know that each chapter I write has a lot of research to do, geographical and facts related to previous chapters. So, it's a lot more difficult than early chapters, where I was writing the continuity - now I have to make sure everything I write now fits properly. So, that's a wee bit of extra time when I write.

I've recently been having the itchy urge to write film reviews more often. However, not on the I-Want-To-Do-This-Professionally Level that I previously did, where I often felt like I needed to kick out a 2,000 word thesis on each film that I saw, while citing references to previous cinema. Instead, I really just kind of want to share some feelings on the flicks that I feel like devoting my time to writing about.

So, today, I'm planning on writing up some short (for me) pieces about "Another Earth" and "One Day". So, I'm going to go get started on that now.

No comments: