Thursday, June 30, 2011

Top Five Most Anticipated Films for the Rest of 2011

1. "Another Earth". To quote Jason L. Maier, "If the film involves Time Travel or Alternate Realities, Shane is almost sure to love it." I don't deny this, and I think this film looks pretty interesting. The concept of the entire world knowing about a second mirror planet is pretty cool to me, and then the fact that they are going to send people to the second planet, makes me curious what happens. Can you run into your double? What would happen? Does your double come back to the original in your place? I've got lots of questions, and I want to see where it takes me. I'm hoping this Indie Sci-Fi is a gem like "Primer". Casting William Mapother (Ethan from "LOST") is also a nice bonus.



2. "One Day". There is something about this film that reminds me of the film "Reunion" that I wrote and directed in 2003. The concept of two people who can't seem to find the right time in their life to be together is something that appeals to me. I really like Anne Hathaway and I'm interested to see more of Jim Sturgess. The telephone scene in the preview always hits me pretty hard, probably because it's right after the scene of him carrying his mother. If I enjoy the film, I plan to pick up the book and give it a read.



3. "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" (Dec. 16th). J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot is once again producing, and this time they've got Brad Bird ("The Iron Giant") directing the film. As with the third film, I am going to have to attempt to remove the "Mission: Impossible" moniker from the film's existence. The third film was an amazing action film, but really did not belong in the "Mission: Impossible" world. Only Brian de Palma got it right with the first film, before John Woo pissed all over the franchise with the terrible second film. I really loved the third one, but wish it some other random action film, or it's own franchise. This one, again looks to be a lot of fun and cool action sequences. Add in the casting of Josh Holloway ("LOST"), Jeremy Renner ("The Town"), Michael Nyqvist ("Män som hatar kvinnor"), and Léa Seydoux ("Midnight in Paris") and I'm really looking to enjoy this ensemble.



4. "The Adventures of Tintin" (Dec. 23rd). I've enjoyed the realiztic motion capture the Spielberg and Robert Zemckis have been doing over the past 10 years. Add in the fact that this one is written by Stephen Moffat ("Coupling" and the BBC series "Sherlock") and I hope that it's going to be a lot of fun. I don't know much about the comic, aside from when Samantha Brown was in Belgium for "Passport to Europe". So, I won't be looking for much, other than a fun and adventurous story, and good visuals.



5. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - American Remake (Dec. 21st). I absolutely LOVE the Millenium Trilogy that Yellow Bird put out in 2009. I think they are all perfect, and the trilogy weaves together a great story about friendship, and abuse, and two lonely people who find ways to help each other through very difficult times. Steve Zaillian has admitted that he re-wrote the ending of the American version of the film, which I think is IDIOTIC. That's why this is dropped down to #5, because of the fact that I know they screwed up (and potentially ruined) such a great film. I'll still jump to see it as quickly as possible, and it's got A LOT of good things going for it, including Fincher, Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, and the rest of the cast.



Quasi-Number-6: "The Ledge" (on VoD currently, Jul 8th). Charlie Hunnam is enough to get me interested in the flick. It looks like a good psychological thriller, if it's done right. I really want to see the flick, but it's not super high on the list, because I'm in the process of getting my hands on a copy of the film to watch, most likely tomorrow night. So, I'm content in knowing I'll be (hopefully) watching it very soon.



BONUS INTERNATIONAL MENTION: "The Inbetweeners" Film (Aug. 12th). I have no idea if this is actually getting a stateside release. BBC America did play an edited version of the show, so it might? I truly hope they don't edit the film if it does show in the US. If it doesn't get an US release, I don't know when I'll get to see - basically, I don't know how long it'll be before a copy gets leaked online. I'm dying to see this film, and so happy they commissioned a few extra episodes that show the gang in college.



So, there's a lot of films that I'm planning on seeing and looking forward to. I really can't wait to see a trailer for Joss Whedon's "The Cabin in the Woods" - which might make it jump onto this list. But, of everything I've seen and read - these are the films that I'll be trying my hardest to see.

No comments: