Saturday, October 04, 2008

Distant Relative or Re-Incarnate?

"Self Portrait" by
Edward Henry Potthast

Not too long ago, Zach went to an Art Museum in Ohio. And he brought me back a postcard, because when he saw it in the Gift Shop, he swore it looked like me. And, I'm going to be honest, I can't deny it too much. I do believe I see a serious resemblance.

So, I started looking into Edward Henry Potthast, and learned some kind of interesting things.

He was born on June 10th, 1857 - three days after my birthday, which also makes him a Gemini. And he was an artist - this could be translated into the modern "art" of film-making.

In the 1880s he traveled to Munich, Germany and studied. I planned on going to Munich last month... At the end of his time in Munich, he traveled to Paris before coming back to the United States. Again, I was supposed to visit this city last month...

In 1895, Potthast moved to New York City, and often spent the summer months at Cape Cod. These are both places that I have frequented over the past two years...

Although Potthast never married - at this time in my life, it feels like I never was either. Potthast died alone, and never had children. He was 69 years old when he died on March 9th, 1927. So, there's a chance that my death date could be: March 6th, 2050.

I'm considering not shaving for the entire month of October, and going as Edward Henry Potthast for Halloween...?

2 comments:

Dave said...

69...heh.

Zach Proctor said...

Hell yea dude,I am thinking of going as a fire and brimstone preacher.