Monday, June 01, 2009

Shane's Answers to a Successful Circle of Blog Postings

So, Troy has started something pretty cool.
It's one of those things that proves the power of the internet - and I think it's one of the great things about blogging. Troy has come up with something that seems to be spreading through our blog circle, and I would have gladly done this sooner, if I would spend more time on the computer at home. But, I'm sitting here now, and I am going to make the time to do this.

So, it started with Troy's blog about his one year anniversary.
The first to answer was John Peddie.
Jason contributed his answers on Friday.
Mike kept it going on Saturday.
And now tonight, I'm going to give my simple answers.



What is the first film you ever saw?

"Return of the Jedi".
And the strangest part was, I didn't even remember it until I was in first grade. We had the picture book movie adaptation to the movie in my classroom. I was looking at it one day, and the first picture in the book was C-3P0 and R2-D2 walking up to Jabba's Palace. I remembered that image, but didn't know why. So I took the book home from class and asked my parents about it. They then told me they did take me to the movies to see it.


What is your favorite film of all time?
"Abre los Ojos".
The character development is amazing. The story is really strong, and confusing - but as you learn more and it explains itself, it gets even better. Being forced to choose between life, friends, and love is a really crazy scene on the roof. And finally, when you learn how far one person was willing to go, because of their insecurities, the final shot of the film is wicked awesome.


What is your favorite line in a film?
"You know the best part? It isn't knowing that your friends have your back. It's knowing that you have your friends' back."

-Green Street Hooligans


What film made you realize that film was an art?
"Memento".

While "Pulp Fiction" was my first experience with non-linear storytelling, it wasn't until Christopher Nolan showed me how you can start at the end, tell me how it's going to end, and then still keep me interested, as I watch backwards and see how everyone was manipulating Leonard. The best, is actually watching the film in linear order, and seeing how it's a completely different film, and watching the manipulation play out is so dramatic.


What movie do you consider your guilty pleasure?
"Coyote Ugly".
Yes, it's a cheesy movie.
Yes, there is Leann Rhimes' music is in the film (but so is EMF!).
But, lots of beautiful women, dancing, and liquor - does it get better?


Who is your favorite movie character of all time?
Sam. Liam Neeson's stepson in "Love Actually".
The innocence of youth's outlook on love - perfect.


What is your favorite movie snack food?
Red Vines.
Thanks to Dione for introducing me to them many, many moons ago. I still eat them to this day.


Who is your favorite director of all time?
Cameron Crowe.
I really enjoy directors who write and direct their own work.
I like stories that are personal and emotional, and actually have meaning.
I think Crowe writes some really good scenes, has a very good knowledge of comedic timing and dramatic pacing. I like his looks at characters, and his accentuation of character flaws. No one is perfect in Crowe films, and I enjoy his exploration of how our flaws are what truly make us who we are.
I'm also a huge fan of he music he chooses for his films. I really enjoy the use of specific songs to compliment the visuals and dramatic situations.


Who is the most impressive filmmaker working today?
J.J. Abrams.
Aside from directing the Pilot episode of "Lost" and being one of the masterminds behind that show, as well as "Fringe" and the film "Cloverfield" - I think his two films are very well done. And I look forward to anything that has his name on it, especially if he's the director.

While "Mission: Impossible III" is not a good part of the "Mission: Impossible" franchise - it is a really, really good action film. Once again, starting with the nonlinear storytelling method of revealing "the end" (or close to the end) at the beginning of the film, really makes it enjoyable to watch the progression to get back to that point where you know you will eventually get to.

And, the more recent re-boot of "Star Trek" was so perfect, on so many levels. I find that Abrams is wonderful at casting, and getting perfect performances from his talent.


What quality do the best directors share?
Emotional connection.
A movie can be good, but if I don't emotionally connect with one of the characters, and really feel a true sense of their purpose, devotion, and feelings - the film is just good. For me to really love a film, I need character exploration and a vested interest in their personal journey.


Who is your favorite actor/actress of all time?
Jimmy Stewart.
"It's a Wonderful Life", "Rear Window", "Vertigo" and "Harvey" are all pimp.


Who is your favorite actor/actress working today?
Liam Neeson.
"Love Actually", "Taken", "Batman Begins", "Gangs of New York", "Schindler's List", "Michael Collins".


Who would you cast in a film about your life?
Charlie Hunnam.
Although, I don't know if he can do an American accent???
I've sen him with a shaved head and with long hair - I'm not sure how he would look with a faux-hawk.


Finish these sentences:

If you could remake one movie...
"Along Came a Spider".
The novel by James Patterson is SO AMAZING, and they ruined it in the film. Most importantly - the killing of Gary Soneji. A villain who goes on to torment Alex Cross for the next five books - most often in a roundabout way - not as the direct bad guy, until later, when he becomes hell-bent on killing Alex's entire family. The also completely changed the storyline about the kidnapping of the children, and horribly changed the first plot twist, when you find out who else was involved in the kidnappings. The 10 chapters of the book between Cross and Soneji while he's holding a McDonald's hostage is amazing - and needs to be included in the film. Soneji's year of confinement, while they still can't find the girl is also very important to the overall story and character development of the "bad guys". Also, the entire opening of the film was a waste, and not in the book - Cross never had a female partner that was killed like that. Neither of the current films address Alex's wife's murder - which is something that I would want to include in my telling of the story, as I think it's important to Alex's character development and explanation for many of his actions.


I never wanna watch a movie with...
...the name Uwe Boll attached to it.


The perfect movie is...
...Emotion Invoking.

Thanks to Troy for making this group of questions, and getting so many people to participate.

4 comments:

troy myers said...

i didn't make up these questions...i just filled in my answers first. the questionnaire came from a book that i think you might enjoy called the mind of the modern moviemaker by josh horowitz.

thanks for participating.

i am hot shit.

Zach Proctor said...

Shane you and I agreed on two things here Return of the Jedi and James Stewart. Who Knew. Troy has a mullet!

Unknown said...

Favorite line(s) from a movie:

(I was watching Road House last night, guilty pleasure and usually I call Mike whenever it's on)

You wanna fight old man?

Well, I ain't gonna show you my dick!

Classic Cinema at it's best.

W. David L. said...

Speaking of what Michael said, if I recall correctly, I *made* you watch Abre Los Ojos.

I feel good about that imposition.