Thursday, February 23, 2006

"Crash"

So, I should have been tweaking "No One Dies" this afternoon, but I sat down to eat lunch and ended up putting in "Crash". So, about a year after I saw the first preview, I've finally watched the film. I bought the DVD really cheap a couple of weeks back, and just hadn't made the time to watch it.

I've recently heard a quote, and it goes something like this: "Movies don't have beginnings and they don't have ends. All they have is middles."

The more and more I think about this, the more true it becomes. I mean, aside from having a film where the entire Earth explodes in the end, there's always going to be more to a story. And even if there was a film where the entire Earth exploded at the end, a couple of years later James Cameron would come along and remind us that there was one small ship of humans in outer space when the explosion happened, and now we need to see their story. Thus, our entire galaxy would have to collapse and implode on itself, along with every other galaxy in the 'verse, or else there would be a story, somewhere, to tell.

Back to my point: "Crash" is definetly a "middle" movie. It's got two things going really well for it: The acting and the message. However, when the film was over, I did not feel like I was taken for a narrative journey. I didn't feel like I knew anything better than when I sat down to watch it. So, again, it's really a film with a message and great acting. The message is that if you look hard enough, you can find discrimination anywhere. It happens everyday, and it happens in many different forms. That message is overpowerful in the film, and the actors who relay this message do a phenomenal job.

But again, when it's over, I don't feel like I've watched a movie, as much as a PSA for anti-discrimination. There's lots of storylines that aren't resolved (which I understand isn't a requirement...), and I'm left wondering how these characters are going to change the next day. Are they going to change? Are they going to continue on the same paths that they were on? Or have the events of these two days transformed their lives for the better? Or worse? Or am I supposed to write these endings for myself? Come to my own conclusions?

Despite my feelings for the film (as a film), it did one thing right: I can't stop thinking about it after I watched it. And I think that's a true test for a powerful film.

No comments: